Honest, principled dedication to our clients and our work is what both defines us and separates us from our competitors. Our clients come first; and our unmatched industry experience influences NEI’s clear efficient path to success. Come join us!
Founded in 1998, NEI General Contracting has provided a full spectrum of General Contracting and Construction Management services to clients throughout the Eastern United States. Our founding principles of integrity, experience, and diligence remain at the foundation of our approach to business and with offices in Boston and Orlando, NEI is well-situated to service projects throughout the East Coast.
Our portfolio consists of more than $2 Billion in completed construction projects, with extensive experience in the sectors of multi-family residential, senior living, historic renovations and restorations, moderate rehabilitations, and institutional projects with a concentration in affordable and market-rate housing.
The role of Superintendent is to oversee, coordinate and manage all onsite construction activities, including safety, logistics, schedule, day to day trade activities, document management, meetings, compliance, completion and turnover. As well the Superintendent shall assist the Project Manager in the construction activities. Superintendent is to have a commanding knowledge of the site and its progress in all areas and with all Subs/Suppliers which are assigned to the project.
- The Superintendent shall work in partnership with the Project Manager for creating, updating, maintaining and managing all the schedules for the project.
- Ability to create a Master Project Schedule with comprehension of required construction activities and logic sequencing.
- Perform daily inspection of units and prepare, maintain and distribute the three-week schedule for Owner/subcontractors and suppliers.
- Strong overall knowledge of construction including the level of understanding in earthwork, foundation systems, building structure, envelope, MEP systems, finish detailing, logic and trade sequencing as well as plan and document reading.
- Directly responsible for supervising all on-site project sub-contractors.
- Must act as a quality control representative to monitor and ensure the correction of any deficient workmanship and/or below quality work.
- Act as mediator for subcontractor/supplier and staff related issues.
- Administer first aid when necessary.
- Approve material requests and delivery.
- Assists Project Manager by overseeing the field construction processes.
- Walk with 3rd party inspections (i.e. geo-tech, structural engineer, fire proofing consultant) for activities directly supervised.
- Report deficiencies, problems and delays to project manager.
- Responsible for the walk-through inspection ensuring passage from local municipal inspectors.
- The Superintendent is in charge of and leads the effort to ensure a safe and clean jobsite to mitigate injuries and/or incidents by implementing NEI’s safety policies, procedures and processes.
- The Superintendent shall make continuous walk-throughs to ensure, enforce and invoke proper site and personnel safety at all times.
- Superintendent shall be required to conduct all safety meetings with the staff and subcontractors, complete all compliance reporting and maintain logs.
- Superintendent shall interact with CRM for inspections and follow-up signoffs.
The Superintendent and PM shall work collaboratively to review the Owner contract as well as all Subcontractor exhibits to understand and have a strong working knowledge of the scopes of work to avoid duplicate work or having work performed unnecessarily and to ensure that all work is being installed in compliance with the contract documents.
Managing Work Tickets / Slips & Changes
- The Superintendent shall proactively communicate with the PM, review subcontractor exhibits and negotiate with other foreman to mitigate field tickets and slips from being generating and exposing NEI to potential unnecessary costs.
- Superintendent shall review, and ensure that no work is being performed without authorization or at a cost that has not been approved by the PM/PX.
- The Superintendent shall maintain documentation to supporting such extra work and distribute accordingly.
- The Superintendent shall have a working knowledge of all project documentation and will coordinate and maintain documentation and their processes timely for such reports as daily reports, record drawings, SK’s, Bulletins, Submittals, SCOs, ASIs. RFIs & CORs.
- It is expected that the record drawings capture all SKs, RFIs ASIs and Bulletins in order that the most current information is real time and readily available.
- The Superintendent will ensure that a log and/or files are kept onsite for SKs, ASIs, RFIs, Bulletins and submittals.
- Maintain QC book for activities directly supervised.
- Maintain FHA/ADA book for activities directly supervised.
- The Superintendent shall prepare for and conduct all subcontractor, safety, pre-construction and coordination meetings as required and scheduled in order to maintain the project schedule, project progress, a safe job site and ensure to minimize conflicts between trades without an impact or delay to the schedule
- The Superintendent shall manage the project close-out process including obtaining all inspections required by all agencies (MEPS, Building, Fire Department, Health, Public Assembly).
- The Superintendent is responsible for the completion, signoff and acceptance of the project punchlist by the Owner and Architect.
- The Superintendent shall support and assist the PM with any closeout requirements on the project.
- Candidate must possess NEI’s Core Values
- Undergraduate degree preferred in Engineering, Construction Management, or similar field.
- 5-15 years of relevant construction experience required, preferably with a CM/GC.
- Team leader with excellent diplomatic and communication skills, able to handle and resolve conflicts effectively in a firm but fair manner
- Proven experience managing projects successfully from start to finish.
- Skilled at negotiating and developing relationships with owners and subcontractors.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for the work and the construction industry is a must.
- Excellent business judgment required
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to constantly multi-task and handle competing priorities between NEI business needs, organizational issues, and sound customer relations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level. Job site walking.
NEI provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, national origin, citizenship, genetic information, disability, protected veteran, gender identity, age or any other status protected by law. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment. NEI will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination toward, or harassment of, applicants or employees by anyone at NEI, or anyone working on behalf of NEI.